The Placitas Community Library is a result of grassroots effort to establish a permanent library in Placitas. We believe that our library is an essential building block in developing a sense of community pride and spirit.
The library opened on March 1, 2004 in a rented 1200 square foot building just west of the Homesteads Shopping Center. This site was provided at minimal cost by Pepi Strahl, a resident of Placitas. Furniture and books for the opening were donated from libraries in Roswell and Los Alamos and local talent, skills and materials transformed this space into a workable library.
In 2003 the library incorporated and the IRS approved our non-profit status on March 1, 2005. The library opened in its current location at 453 Hwy 165 in 2010, using a combination of State and Federal funds as well as private donations to create a 3,500 square foot building.
The library’s collection now includes over 20,000 items covering a wide range of adult and children’s books and media. The library provides 5 public computers with internet access, WiFi, inter-library loans, and a meeting room for public use. The library also provides displays of local art and a variety of educational programs for all ages.
The library now has a paid director and a staff of more than 70 volunteers. Because Placitas is an unincorporated area, the library has no supporting tax base and must raise funds for all of its operations.